CALL FOR PROPOSALS: INKSHED PUBLICATIONS

ABOUT INKSHED PUBLICATIONS

The primary reasons for this publication series are related to Canadian
academics' and teachers' need for an ongoing vehicle to create and maintain
the dialogue on current scholarship, research, and theory in the domains of
language study; composition studies; rhetorical studies; the study of texts
and how they are composed, read, and used; the study of literature and
response to literature; pedagogy in English studies; language arts and
English education; media and communication studies; and related fields.

We believe our first priority should be to provide Canadian scholars and
teachers with an opportunity to address other Canadians.  We also believe
that these same scholars should have some means of addressing the
international community of scholars.  In order to ensure that the series
deals with the most current and engaging issues in our field, we wish to see
publications written primarily by Canadians, edited and reviewed by
Canadians, but addressed to both a national and international audience.  That
is, we wish to recognize that much of the work being carried out in Canada is
not only part of the Canadian conversation, but is among the most innovative
work being done in English studies internationally as well.

We envision publications which report on current research (in its broadest
definition), scholarship, theory, and the analysis of emerging conceptual
constructs, while recognizing the potential influence these constructs on
classroom practice.  The publication series attempts to provide a venue for
alternative conceptualizations of language and discourse which challenge
traditional theories and their attendant pedagogies, as well as to give voice
to emerging, different, and marginalized discourses.

PUBLICATION PROPOSALS

Inkshed Publications will publish both monographs and edited books.
The editors are also interested in alternative formats.  All formats must be
book-length (100-200 pages).

Edited Volumes:

We envision the edited books to be made up of approximately 200 pages
(typescript, which is approximately 250 pages manuscript) with articles from
six or eight different authors.  These books will be edited by members of the
community who make proposals.  Those proposal should include a prospectus
(10-15 pages) describing the intent of the book as well as the rationale for
addressing the topic(s) in the book.  The proposers should also suggest names
of possible contributors to the book as well as the possible topics those
contributors will discuss.  For these volumes, prospective editors need not
have contacted the possible contributors to submit a proposal, or, for that
matter, need to have all of the contributors selected.  Furthermore,
prospective editors may suggest an idea for a volume without having
particular contributors identified.  In these cases, the managing editors can
send out a call for papers on the topic of the volume on behalf of the
editors.  Decisions about the final papers for the volume will be made by the
editors/proposers, in consultation with the managing editors.

Monographs:

Monographs, either singly- or multiply-authored will also be part of the
publication initiative.  We are looking for extended discussions of topics
important to the Inkshed community.  These monographs will, typically, be
about 100 pages long (typescript, i.e., about 125 pages manuscript).  The
topics covered by the monographs should be focused and of scholarly and
pedagogical importance to the Inkshed community.  Proposals for monographs
should include a 10-15 page prospectus describing the topic and its relevance
as well as the theoretical perspective to be taken in the book.  The proposal
should also include a preliminary table of contents.  The decisions of which
monographs will be published will be made by the managing editors after the
proposals have been sent out for review.

Alternative formats:

The editors are also interested in formats other than the two listed above
and are interested in receiving proposals for such alternative formats.  The
format must be of book-length (100-200 pages), be appropriate in terms of
scholarly and pedagogical significance, and be publishable.  Proposals for
such volumes should include a 10-15 page prospectus describing the topic and
its relevance as well as the theoretical perspective to be taken in the book.

All proposals should be in a form that can be copied to be sent out for
review.  If you have any questions, please contact Sandy Baardman at the
address listed below.

FAXED PROPOSALS OR PROPOSALS SENT OVER E-MAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED DUE TO
POOR REPRODUCTION/FORMATTING.

*** DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS IS SEPTEMBER 8, 1995 ***

Please submit three copies of each proposal to:

Inkshed Publications
c/o Sandy Baardman
340 Education Bldg.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3T 2N2

phone:    1-204-474-9034
fax:      1-204-275-5962
e-mail:   [log in to unmask]

Previous and upcoming titles:

WRITING INSTRUCTION IN CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES
(1994) by Roger Graves

CONTEXTUAL LITERACY: WRITING ACROSS THE CURRICULUM
(1994) edited by Catherine Schryer and Laurence Steven

GENDER AND ACADEMIC WRITING
(forthcoming, 1995) by Jaqueline McLeod Rogers

CONTINUITY AND CHANGE IN THE THOUGHT OF KENNETH BURKE
(forthcoming, 1995) by Martin Behr, edited by Richard M. Coe

INTEGRATING VISUAL AND VERBAL LITERACIES
(forthcoming, 1996) edited by Will Garrett-Petts and Donald Lawrence