Trevor, a couple of years ago a grad student here did her MEd thesis
on a topic that might interest you.  She called it something like
_Collaborative Learning:A Social Hermeneutic_, but it was very much about
the process of negotiating the curriculum with students. She included a
case study  of my third year course on Gender and Writing (and English Women's
Studies) and used Bakhtin,Phelps, Heath and I think Freire, Bartolomae and
so on for her theoretical framework. What might be particularly
useful are the transcribed interviews with students taking the course (
she did lengthy interviews with all 25 students).  Some are remarkably
articulate and frank, about the weakness of the course as well as its
strengths, and very diverse. Her name is Janice Adams, and (oh yes) the
institution is Memorial University. Her supervisor was Clar Doyle, whose
book _Raising the Curtains on Education: Drama as a Site for
Critical Pedagogy_ (Bergen and Garvey,1993) should also be of interest to
your group.

Let me know if you have trouble getting the thesis.
Phyllis Artiss ([log in to unmask])