I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Rachel Balsam and my father
has had PD for over 20 years.  He is 75 yrs. old, lives in Chicago, and
had a Pallidotomy 2 1/2 years ago.  The operation was done on the right
side only.  At the time, it improved his speech, but did nothing for his
walking abilities.  The PD increased dramatically this last year.  My
father can barely get around with a walker, his memory is very
compromised, and he tires very easily.  He uses a wheelchair when he goes
out (if he goes out).  He falls alot and cannot be left alone.

I was reading the archives and there was an interesting article on physics
and PD.  My father was a chemist in an industrial paint and adhesive
factory.  We surmised his PD was from the chemicals he was exposed to
over his lifetime.

I spoke with my father this morning and he said that ground breaking
efforts have been made this week with the fetal transplant.  He claims it
has almost "cured" PD.  Has anyone else heard any news on this front?  He
said research is also making headway on transplants using pig's skin (DNA
is used somehow used to produce dopamine?).

I guess my father has reached the end of the road as far as any drug
therapies.  The medicine he takes is constantly being altered and he is
up one day and down the other often times with no correlation to his
medicine.  I do not expect any miracles, but any helpful information that
any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I will also be
glad to provide any information that might be helpful to others.

Thanks for listening,
- Rachel Balsam