Hello Barbara and Kees,

You asked listmembers to respond with comments about the list. I am sure
there will be
many replies making similar comments to mine.

The Parkinson Information Exchange Network is really one, big support group in
electronic form. The list provides a remarkable platform for sharing on a
worldwide basis.

I have always been impressed how much knowledge Parkinsonians have to share
even in
small groups. This sharing involves much more than sympathy, kindness and
understanding. Support groups exchange real knowledge and valuable
information. I really
believe that patients often know their own condition better than even the
most expert
neurologist. Through support groups Parkinsonians can come to realize just
how well they
do understand their condition,  Whether sitting together in a room or
participating in this
unique worldwide Internet room, everyone is an expert and everyone is equal.
This kind of
communication is truly a two-way street (to change my metaphor). We can
share our
knowledge and receive in return the knowledge, and the wisdom, of many
others. And
maybe the wisdom is the most important part of it all!

Certainly Parkinsonians don't have the same kind of technical or scientific
knowledge that
the health professional has, but they do have knowledge that is frequently
discounted by
the medical community.

Knowledge is power and the Parkinson's Information Exchange Network empowers.
Indeed, the Internet is rapidly giving hundreds and thousands of
Parkinsonians access to a
remarkably high quality information and discussion.

We need to keep the emphasis on sharing.  We all have much to learn in the
exchange.
This includes everyone -- Parkinsonians, families and caregivers, health
professionals and
students.

Finally, the list is remarkable for the breadth, range and quality of
discussion. The flow of
topics is fascinating and none of it is lost because of the archives.

As always, and with thanks again to you Barbara, best regards,

Peter Kidd

P.S.: Barbara, I know the official name of the list is the "Parkinson's
Disease --
Information Exchange Network" and I really don't want to restart the debate
over the "d"
word. You may have noticed that I omitted it from the reference to the list
earlier in this
message.  The use of the term "disease" is of  course strongly opposed by
our Halifax-
Dartmouth Chapter. I hope you don't mind if we continue to drop the word
"disease" on
an informal basis. We hope, of course, that in time it will fall out of
common use except in
purely medical contexts.

Peter J. Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
Phone & Fax: (902) 443-4262
Email: [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
http://www.cfn.cs.dal.ca/~aa163/peterkidd.html