On   Fri, 5 May 1995 17:06; Grete Pasch said:

>I would really appreciate any comments related to knee replacement
>or similar surgery.  My Father has PD.  He had a knee replaced one
>month ago, with two major negative consequences:
-----Snip

Grete,
My wife, Margaret's,  experience was very similar, and she is now
substantially confined to a wheel-chair.

Several years ago, she had a patellectomy.  This was done because she had
fallen on her knee so many times that the patella was broken into three
pieces.

She suffered what can only be described as dementia, for over a week after
the operation which was performed under  general anaesthesia.  This was
ascribed to an adverse interaction between anti-parkinsonian drugs and
one of the substances  (possibly a muscle relaxant) used by the
anaesthetist.  This, however, proved to be least of her troubles.

Because of the Parkinson's she was unable to perform the prescribed
physio-therapy excercises sufficiently to regain full use of her leg, the
muscles of which have become significantly smaller in size than those on the
unaffected leg.  Furthermore, because of her Parkinsonian unsteadiness, she
fell again on her knee before it had fully healed.  Xrays didn't show  any
damage, but Margaret insists that when she fell she felt something move
inside her knee.

Before the operation, Margaret could walk considerable distances, albeit
unsteadily, using a quad stick;  after, the best she has manged is a few
metres using  a 'hoppety' frame.  When we paid our final visit to  the
surgeon,  we went over these problems  and he agreed that with the benefit
of hindsight, it would have been better not to have had the operation.

Finally, I too have suffered some of the carer symptoms Alan described.
Indeed, like Margaret, I have been prescribed the anti-depressant Prozac.
This has beneficially reduced the tension in our relationship, but it has
not helped certain physical  aspects of our marriage  ;-)

Take Care,

Mark.
Mark  Atyeo
+61 6 286 2606