Hello.  I'de like to introduce myself to all of you.  I found this list
yesterday while looking around the World Wide Web for information on
Parkinson's disease.

My grandmother was diagnosed with Parkinson's 1 1/2 years ago.  She
never had the tremors which have been described and decided after
6 months to go off the medication she was prescribed since she had
not noticed a change.  I did not get too concerned before with
what type of medication or what the symptoms of Parkinson's were.

Well the fall and winter went by and I have noticed that she had a
harder time getting around.  However, she always blamed everything on
her arthritis and its relation to the weather.  Last Sunday, she
fell in her kitchen.  She made it to church and breakfast fine but
by the next morning she wasn't able to get up much at all and called
the ambulance.  They gave her some pain pills and sent her home said
she had pulled some ligaments and/or muscles.

My mother stayed with her Monday evening and had thought she would
be okay alone Tuesday night but ended up staying with her because she
still wasn't well.  By this time, she couldn't even get up to go
to the bathroom on her own and they ended up having to call the
ambulance by Wednesday afternoon.

At this point, I looked into some sources about Parkinson's disease
and found that she met pretty most of the symptoms listed in the
stages except for the tremors.  She has never had those.  I discussed
bringing back in the doctor who had diagnosed the Parkinson's as maybe
the medicine may not have been helping her, but may have been maintaining
where she was at which was a lot better than where she is now.

So, I am trying to check out all available sources of information.
Do people with Parkinson's generally have tremors or is it common
not to have them?

My grandmother broke her hip 10 years ago but got along fine after that
operation.  She lost the feeling in her right side a few years ago
and gradually has lost most feeling in her left side also.  She says
that she can not really feel her legs and kind of shuffles her feet
along by looking at them.  Her cane is not sufficient for her right
now and she requires her walker (at least since last week) but that seems
to tire her out a lot as she has no upper body strength.

Also, can anyone tell me whether the l-dopa medication would improve
the conditions or just maintain where she was.  It seems to me that
she was probably at Stage 3 when she was diagnosed and now I would
rate her at Stage 4 or 5.  Of course, I am no doctor and will not
know what he says until he sees her this week.

Basically, I have great concern for her well-being as I don't want
her to end up in a nursing home but I have a young family and don't
think that my mother could care for her either.  I am looking into what
options are available and any topics of conversation.

Sorry that I have rambled on for so long.  I think that this list
will be invaluable to me as I learn about the disease.

Kim

--
Kim Coy                                                 Physics Education Group
Kansas State University                                 (913)532-1612 (voice)