Dick Dillards letter rergarding the Udall Bill has prompte me to share with all
of you some of my
correspondence.  I have from time to time placed messages on this list
encouraaging people to
write their elected officials in support of the Udall Bill.  Quite frankly I've
been disapointed in the
responce.  But perhaps the responce has been great and I just don't know about.
Perhaps all
800 of you are involved in a "write everyone you knowand ask them to write their
Congressmen"
campaign and I believe no comments on the list means your not involved.  So I'm
going to put
some of my letters on the list and encourage others to do the same.  Maybe those
of us who
have not written Congress will be inspired by our efforts and we can get some
momentumn
going.  Its May.  Half of 1995 is almost gone and the Udall bill is "in
committee".  For us that
have Parkinson's Disease the clock is ticking.  The funding increase the Udall
Bill provides might
be what puts us over the top.  Everyone has to be encouraged at the continuing
stream of new
developments in PD research .  But research takes money.  If there is reason to
believe that
another breajthrough if not cure is on the horizon, its time for a strong
finishing kick to the finish.

This is a version of a letter I am writing to evertone I know.  I hope it starts
a kind of Parkinson's
chain letter:
 I can get by with a little help from my friends .  That line from the popular
Beatles song
reminds me of good times past. To assure  that I ll be able to continue to have
good times in
the future I need a little help from my friends.  I m amending that to also
include
neighbors.  I need your help in the battle against Parkinson's Disease.

 I need you to write your Congressman and Senators urging them to not only
support but to co
sponsor the Morris K. Udall Parkinson s Research, Education, and Assistance Act.
This is a
bill introduced in Congress which would dramatically increase research funding
for
Parkinson's Disease.  Federal funding of Parkinson's Disease research is the
lowest per
person afflicted at only  $30.  Its ironic that despite that meager funding the
neuroscientists feel that another major break through if not cure is imminent.
They state
that  they know more about Parkinson's Disease than any of the other
neurological diseases.

 Here s an excerpt from a letter I wrote to Senator Hatfield the original
sponsor of the bill
describing the range of emotions I have concerning this legislation -

   First there is the Joy of hope.  Hope/conviction that this legislation will
be the added
impedance that results in the swift discovery of a cure for this disease which I
and millions
of others suffer from.  Then there is frustration and despair at the pace of
this
legislative process and the specter that this legislation may become sidetracked
by other
priorities or agendas.  For us that have Parkinson s Disease the clock is
ticking.

 I hope that you might be successful in elevating this legislation above the day
to day
politics and pass this legislation swiftly as is deserving of such a noble
cause.  The fact
that our doctors and scientists feel a cure is near should only add to the
urgency.   How
cruel it is to know a cure is close at hand but may  not be achieved for want of
relatively
modest funding while every night multi-million dollar boondoggles are discussed
on the
evening news.  Where is our sense of priorities ?

 While hoping that Morris K. Udall Parkinson s Research, Education, and
Assistance Act  might
indeed be swept into law my more pragmatic side puts forth more reasoned
justification.  What
successful business would not invest $200 million per year for the short term to
eliminate $6
billion per year in society costs?  I do not believe the American people in
their mandate for
change want slash and burn budget cutting.  The vast majority of Americans would
be pleased
if our government were described as cost effect rather than some of the
descriptors
currently applied.  This legislation is cost effective!

 I m asking  for a relatively small expenditure of your time, but if each of you
write and if
you could each get two more to write and they two more we would have a
Parkinson's Disease
chain letter that  would flood Washington D.C.  That  flood of letters would
assure passage
of this bill.  Please  do this as a personal favor.  Set aside some time and do
it now and
don t let this get lost in the good intentions pile.

 Enclosed is a sample letter.  You can paraphrase it or just copy it and sign
your name to
it.
 This is an exercise where Quality is always good but Quantity is the bottom
line.  I d
rather see you spend what time you might allocate to this cause getting others
to write, than
authoring an eloquent response.

 I wish I could accomplish my goal of funding the research to cure Parkinson's
Disease simply
by hard work on my part and not having to ask for help.  However this goal will
only be
achieved through numbers.  I could use a little help from my friends.