Just would like to throw out another interesting anecdote (at least from my
perspective):  I was a physics major and now have pd.  My dad works at a major
university research lab, and supposedly 5-6 physics professors at this
univeristy have pd.  I find that a very interesting coincidence, no matter
what the link, if any.  Could it be possibly something that
physicists/scientists are routinely exposed to, a genetic predisposition
(including a more introverted personality typically).  One doctor where I go
for treatment, said in a lecture that he discounted the theory of different
personality types being associated with different diseases.  Supposedly the pd
type of personality is someone who is inhibited, more reserved.  I know that
many physics majors I've encountered, as well as many computer science majors,
other science majors, or even anyone who is of a serious intellectual bent
(including of course many grad students), are often maybe not inhibited, but
usually a bit more introverted/reserved.  You'd have to be in a way to put in
all those hours of study required.  I am reserved somewhat, but not to the
extreme that would cause disease I would think.  I personally had a rough time
in grad school, although I like physics and math alot, I didn't want to "live,
eat & breath" any one area, I also wanted to pursue more outside interests,
including sports and social interests.  I know this is  somewhat of a
generalization, and not only people in these areas display these traits, but
it's still interesting to ponder.  I'm not sure I believe either that
personality can be definitely linked to specific diseases, but it is well
known that type "A" personalities are more susceptible to heart attacks, etc.
Personality is probably somewhat determined by genes, as well as environment,
etc., so maybe if there is a genetic link for pd, this might also be true?
Any opinions?  Any type "A"'s out there with pd who could refute the
"inhibited" theory?  Besides, I may be a bit quiet and private, but I don't
generally like to think of myself as inhibited.  The connotations to me are
rather negative.  I'm   fairly conservative/reserved in my personal lifestyle,
but very liberal in my views, and I do like to shock now and then, especially
since no one ever expects it out of me!!
Wendy Tebay