Dear Ms. Dean:

It usually takes a long time before the deterioration you describes sets
in.  And by then there may be other therapies and procedures that will
improve results, such as the pallidotomy and fetal transplant surgeries.

Your mother (and you) should enjoy the good fortune of being among those
for whom levadopa works.  You can do many things now that you may not be
able to do later, so you should enjoy all you can.  It took about five
years for my husband to begin feeling insecure enough (falling, etc.)
that he didn't want to travel anymore, but those were very good five
years.  I wish at the time I had been better advised instead of thinking
it might get better physically.  That won't happen without new
interventions (which are on the horizon, incidentally), but there are
plenty of ways to make the best of what you've got, as you will see from
the many interactions here on our network.

Best of luck,

k.

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                        [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies                  voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall           fax:    (510) 642-9466