It has been with great sadness that I have read the accounts of
serious problems following general anesthesia.

To at least help relieve some of the anxiety for those who might
require anesthesia:
My family member with PD (diagnosed 1994 - but with symptoms for at
least several years) had a general anesthetic for shoulder surgery in
1989 and again for a ruptured disk earlier in 1994. She experienced
no apparent problems from the anesthetic with regard to her mental
abilities, and the back surgery was totally successful (she was in
excruciating pain before the surgery, and walking independently 2
days later).

She is 80 years old, and (since I am not familiar with the grading
scale for PD) has fairly mild but obvious symptoms - shuffling gait,
expression, voice changes, and a very mild tremor in her face and one
hand, and occasional falls. There was no apparent worsening of symptoms after ei
 ther
surgery. I have heard that there is some concern whether general
anesthesia might be one of the possible causes (or precipitators) of
PD symptoms, which might be a possibility in her case. However, at
least the surgery caused not apparent problems for her due to her PD,
and in fact, encouraged her to start on an exercise program.

Perhaps she was more fortunate than some since her symptoms are
relatively mild.

Since surgery is not always optional, it is encouraging to know that
the results are not always devastating. I do, however, agree with
Greta that one should think seriously about the potentially
devastating problems it does appear to cause for PD'ers.

Barb Colmery
does cause with some of those