In 1973, my grandmother (approx. 65 years old and afflicted with Parkinsons)
had knee replacement surgery in Boston.

Prior to the surgery her mental capacities were 100%.  Following the
operation, she lost her short term memory.  I don't mean to be too
depressing, but from that point on her abilities and capacities
decreased.

As this occured, however, we would NEVER EVER do anything that made
her feel that we thought she had any problems with this.  We are also
convinced that the medications for Parkinsons, which changed
periodically, may also have been causal wrt her diminishing memory
et al.

The doctors, when confronted, emphatically denied that the general an.
or subsequent post-op medications/pain killers and Parkinsons medications
or combinations thereof could have impacted her mental capacities.  They
also stated, from what I remember, that she must have been in this
condition prior to the operation.

I lost a great deal of respect for M.D.'s during that period.

-Matt McKenna