Matt -
I should have added this to my earlier post about my family member's
surgery regarding the issue of her short-term memory:

I have noticed short-term memory deficits at times during the past
several years, which has probably progressed some. However, this
seems to be in her case more clearly correlated to the progression of her PD
(which has been so far reasonable slow) than as an after-effect of
her surgery. Hers seems to be somewhat worsened by stress, so she was
actually worse before the surgery than after (although she was also
on a substantial amount of medications before surgery that we tapered
her off of as  quickly as we could following surgery).

I would imagine, as it seems with your grandmother, there are changes that
may occur as a result of anesthesia - it just hasn't seemed the case with my
family member. Her physicians were very clear about the lengthened
recovery time from the anesthesia in an elderly person, but her PD
was also undiagnosed at the time of her surgery.

It is so confusing - as I am sure most family members and caregivers
would agree - to try to sort out which symptoms, or worsening of
symptoms, are related to medications, progression of PD, stressors,
etc.

One of the benefits of this list is sharing of ideas, experience and
knowledge because PD is so confusing. Elderly patients do respond
differently to medications, and many have depresssion or dementia,
without having PD. Many family members and caregivers do have
better first hand experience than the physicians with regard to
observations about cause and effect because they are more consistenly
involved with the person with PD.

I have observed that some physicians of older folks seem to
generalize about their elderly patients, rather than individualizing
their treatments. And certainly there are good physicians as well as
not so skilled.

There is alot about PD that is not understood, and some physicians
seem more aware of the knowledge that there is than others. Since
there is such a wide variety of symptoms that some may experience
while others don't, and some medication regimens that work for some
and not others, it adds to the puzzle.

The best suggestion is to be if you have a choice about which
physician to use that it be one who is knowledgeable about PD, since
some do not seem to be. In our case, there don't seem to be any in
her vicinity that are, so we plan to have her continue evaluations
and medication management here at the university, and her routine
care with her local physician. When there are questions about the
treatment recommended locally, we consult with the neurologist at U
of M. This is not ideal, but it was the best arrangement we could
find. It will be more of a problem as she becomes less mobile, but at
least we could continue to consult with him.

It is especially distressing when someone as young as your
grandmother was at the time has substantial memory changes - and frustrating whe
 n you
are told it can't be related to the anesthetic, when it seems impossible to
totally rule out the possibility. Hopefully everyone is better
informed than they were in 1973, although there are still many
aspects to mental health that remain a mystery.

Take care
Baeb Colmery