Alan,

Thanks for the public service announcement on harmful drugs.  I have my own
personal horror story on that subject.

Two years ago I went to the hospital for surgery on my elbow, which I had
broken badly in one of my Parkinsonians free-falls.  I was taking Eldepryl at
the time, and advised my surgeon that I was not to be given demerol or any of
its derivatives.  Neither he nor the anesthesiologist would believe me!  They
said they'd operated on other Parkinson's patients and never had a problem.
 I pointed out that the problem was specifically with Eldepryl, which the
other patients might not have been taking.  I finally called my neurologist
and asked him to inform them that I was right, but they finally backed off.
 So it's not enough to inform them - we have to convince them!
I shudder to think what could have happened had I not been well informed on
the subject.  We really have to look out for ourselves (and each other )
because it seems as though no one else is.