On May 11, Judith Guttman wrote:

> What you describe, Norm, is the second part of Crane Qi Gong, which
> is what I was taught.
>
> The first part is a six-set series of motions designed to make one
> aware of balance and to restore chi balance.

Actually, there are dozens of Qi Gong styles. What I described is a very
general exercise commonly seen at some point in most styles. Having
practiced and taught Qi Gong (and Chinese martial arts) for over 20 years,
I've cataloged nearly one hundred individual Qi Gong exercises taught
in the U.S., not including family systems and modern variants developed
in Chinese hospitals.

The Chinese government officially recognizes over 1500 styles of Qi
Gong. Crane Qi Gong is a popular style found in many U.S. cities. It is
taught here in San Diego as well, along with Tao Tan Pai Qi Gong (Share
Lew's system), Hua To's "Frolic of the Five Animals" and others.

I have taught a subset of the 31 exercises of Tao Tan Pai Qi Gong to
two people with Parkinsonian disorders, and Hua To's Frolic to a few
others in groups. The exercise I described in my earlier post is the
first exercise of the "Frolic". Of the three students that have stayed
in touch with me over time, all report that the practice of Qi Gong
has been very beneficial to them, in both qualitative and quantitative
ways.

Aside from any discussion of Chinese philosophical and medical theory
on what Qi Gong is and does, what I think is important to many people
in our modern times is that Qi Gong gives structure to that oft-heard
directive to "get some exercise." It is a sophisticated approach to
developing the health of the body through breathing, movement and
meditation, which is yet easy to learn and practice. One need not
"believe" in Qi Gong, or Qi for that matter, to benefit from these
exercises.

If those in the San Diego area are interested in forming a group to
learn and practice some Qi Gong, drop me an email and we'll see what
we can put together.

Norm.