To: Don Anderson, Carrie Barrot, Sid Roberts
Re: Questions about PD and exercise

Sid asked about specific balance exercises for persons with
PD...bibliographical references.

Carrie asked "why is PD called the falling sickness" and "explain the
different stages of PD"

Don asked about benefits of exercise and anything else.

I have a few bibliographical references for all of you. Maybe you
could read these (or some of them) and then we can talk about them if you like.

1. Koller WC, Silver DE, Lieberman A. (1994). An algorithm for the
management of PD. Neurology, volume 44 (supplement 10).

2.Goetz CG, Thelen JA, MacLeod CM, Carvey PM, Bartley EA, Stebbins GT.
(1993). Blood levodopa levels and unified PD rating scale
function:With and without exercise. Neurology, 43, 1040-1042.

3. Carter JH, Nutt JG, Woodward WR. (1992). The effects of exercise on
levodopa absorption. Neurology, volume 42, 2042-2045.

4. Hu MH, Woollacott MH. (1994). Multisensory training of standing
balance in older adults: I. Postural stability and one-leg stance
balance. Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 49, M52-M61.

5. Schenkman M, Donovan J, Tsubota J, Kluss M, Stebbins P, Butler RB.
(1989). Management of individuals with PD: Rationale and case studies.
Journal of Physical Therapy. Vol. 69, #11, 944-954.

6. Johnell O, Melton LJ, Atkinson EJ, O'Fallon WM, Kurland LT. (1992).
Fracture risk in patients with Parkinsonism: A population based study
in Olmsted county, Minnesota. Age and Ageing, 21, 32-38.

7. Eventov I, Moreno M, Geller E, Tardiman R, Salama R. (1983). Hip
fractures in patients with Parkinson's syndrome. The Journal of
Trauma, Vol 23, #2, 98-101.

8. Kiawans, HJ, Topel JL. (1974). Parkinsonism as a falling sickness.
Journal of the American Medical Association. Vol. 230, #11, 1555-1557.

9. Koller WC, Glatt S, Vetere-Overfield B, Hassanein R. (1989). Falls
and PD. Clinical Neuropharmacology. Volume 12, #2, 98-105.

10. Aita JF. (1982). Why patients with PD fall. Journal of the
American Medical Association. Vol. 247, #4, 515-516.
--

Don, I am doing my dissertation on the effect of strength and balance
training on strength and balance and Activities of Daily Living in

Mark Hirsch ([log in to unmask])