(Forwarded message from Kees Paap)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 00:29:15 -0400
From: Lynda McKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: information bank

Hello to everybody!

As a guest of Al and Lynda in Milton, Ontario, and a participant at the
conference at the Inn on the Park on Saturday, May 13, I met Barbara
Patterson twice.  We spoke about the exchange of informationand about the
Information Highway.

Today we visited Niagara Falls.  I think it would be as difficult to stop
the flow of information via this media as it would be to stop the flow of
water over the Falls.  I am impressed by the exchange of information
through this list, but it's still just part of all the information
available worldwide.

Let me introduce myself and inform you of the history of the Parkinson's
Information Bank International (PIBI).

My name you already know, my age , 45. PD for 5 years married, with 2
children, a girl 17 and a boy 14.  Living in Holland , traffic engineer,
working at home for 20 hours a week, (at least).

In January of this year I started to build an informatin bank.  I wanted
to make it a non-profit organization.  The European Parkinson's Disease
Association (EPDA) heard about my initiative and wanted me to do it for
them.  Meanwhile I started to co-operate with Geert Arien from Belgium.
EPDA didn't seem to be in a hurry so I started to organize a meeting
between those who were knowledgable about information programming in
Europe.  This time the EPDA got into the act.  The meeting in Utrecht was
a great success and we formed a group with Jean Pierre Lucas as chairman.

Meanwhile Geert and I continued to build the PIBI.  April 24 PIBI was
officially founded in Holland and Belgium followed in May.

What do we want to achieve?  We want to assimilate the information from
all over the world to inform patients, neurologists, students ,
caregivers, researchers, and anyone else who is interested about PD.  All
the information available about medicine, operations, investigations,
trials, experiences of patients, side effects, anonymous personal
information, statistics, alternative treatments, scientific magazines,
publications, books, articles, hobbies, societies, etc...

Besides this, a network should be built in which all people concerned with
PD can be connected to each other and to the information bank.

We want to work with any existing operations and would appreciate hearing
about any you might know of.

The only way we can win against PD is to work TOGETHER!!!!!

We will make Parkinson's a bad memory....

Kees Paap