Sonia,   I am writing to emphasize the advice to consider the depressing
aspect of PD.
Several of my elderly friends are examples that more should emulate.  They
remain independent and are proud that they have made their own way.  Not
all are still able to accomplish every task they wish to do.  The wise ones
have accepted help, but they continue to care and do what they can - for
themselves and  others.  They have learned .. know .. that loving-caring is
the essence of their personal happiness.
The fear of dying .. and what may follow death .. may be the mental
paridigm of 'old' .. vice elderly.
Parkinsonism is an uncomprehended sentence from the Doctor (judge in this
analogy).
Depression results from loss ... and PD is continual loss of body movement
control and capability.  The patient must have .. or develop .. patience
because s/he will move and mentate slower .. due to the deficiency of the
neurotransmitter, dopamine.  A superb self-esteem with extraordinary
adaptive capability would be beneficial characteristics to accept the PD
diagnosis 'in stride'.
"Spunky" people are young in spirit - pay little attention relatively to
their body's age or complaints - grow every day - change for the better.
We live, laugh, love, give, learn-change and remain happy - even euphoric.
We hope to accept .. and complete .. the termination of life with dignity.
This is more difficult for those of us commuting our slow death sentence
via becoming legal drug addicts .. partly because the experts know only
crudely  how the drugs could be optimally administered.
We have much to learn .. but let us help each other.  Doing that is one
source of self-administration of the serotonin and endorphins that produce
feeling good affect cognition.
You have the motivation to help your father. This is an opportunity to have
both he and yourself learn to interact adult-to-adult .. by doing the
quality time interpersonal role playing with each other.   I prescribe this
because the diagnosis from your message is that you and your father have
not become good friends.  You were not aware of the PD diagnosis for a long
while .. after he chose not to tell you .. for whatever reason(s).  It is
NOT too late to become friends!  That will help you both.  My best wishes
to you both.

Ron  <[log in to unmask]> Ronald F. Vetter