Dear Ron,

Whereas I agree with your compassionate and thoughtful response to Sonia's
post I must take exeption with one aspect.  Admittedly, any chronic condition
that compromises one's autonomy could be a source for sadness,grief and sense
of helplessness.  I agree with you that recognizing it, and supporting the
loved one in this struggle is better than any chemical.  However, as a
neuropsychiatrist working with Parkinson's disease I must emphasize that the
condition harbors (not in every patient ) a depressive disorder that is
inherent to  it much like muscle stiffness is.  In that case, there is a need
for medication because it can cause enormous suffering (not to mention  loss
of apetite, lethargy, loss of sleep etc.)  Those conditions are in fact
underdiagnosed and under rather than over treated. I think that taking the
atitude that the depression is "normal" and the patient needs support and not
medication is not always justified.  In some instances the patient needs
support AND medication.  Ironically, after many years I have treated patients
my own father was diagnosed with Parkinson's.  So now I am not just a doctor
but also a family member.  I too, suffer with my father whom I love and
admire as he is struggling with his condition rather than fully enjoying his
retirement he had so happily planned.  He is not depressed and does not need
antidepressant.  But should he become depressed I certainly hope his doctor wo
uld recognize it and give him the appropriate treatment.

Yours,
Rami Kaminski
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York