I was talking with Tom Riess a week ago last Saturday.  We were discussing
some results using his work with "Blue Glasses"  and his work with "Virtual
Reality" when he dropped a bomb on me.  It seems Tom has "congestive heart
failure."  He said he was leaving for Cedars Sinai Medical Center in LA to
have heart valve repair.

All this really caught me by surprise.  I asked if he was still taking
Eldepryl.  He was, so I sent a fax of the drugs that interfere in the
management of PD.  The other question Tom had was should he be ON or OFF his
PD drugs during the surgery.  This is a very good question as dopamine has
been used to stimulate the heart during surgery.

Tom told me he had a long conversation with the anesthesiologist.  The
anesthesiologist was aware of the problem and would use something other than
Demerol.  He also suggested Tom be ON his PD drugs when he enters the OR.
 The anesthesiogist would give anti-Parkinson's drugs during the surgery if
necessary.

I would like to report that last Thursday, Tom had two heart valves repaired.
 The anetholost did use anti-PD drugs during the surgery.  They were injected
directly into the blood vain.  The surgery was successful.  His chest is a
little sore, but he feels better.   Tom will be in LA for a few days before
he goes home to San Anselmo, CA.

When he gets back I hope he will share his experience in the hospital with
us.  Any one wanting to send a message of encouragement, should send the
message directly to Tom.  His email address is:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Tom.

Regards,
Alan