I have something I would like to present and get some opinions
on in reference to swallowing. About 2 years ago, I was in
pretty poor condition. I only had 2 or 3 hours of "up" time
a day. I was wracked by dysatonias. Rigidity & Bradykinesia
were my "middle name". My head was pulled down so close to
my left shoulder that my ear would nearly touch it. I
weighed only 115 pounds. I had a terrible problem with
swallowing. About every couple of minutes, I needed to
swallow. I have had a sinus drainage problem for years
and before I was diagnosed with PD, it was only "bothersome".
However, it became a nightmare for me because my swallowing
mechanism just wouldn't work. I found by a trial and error
method that if I bowed my head, it became a little easier
to swallow. In time, that didn't work so I found that if I
interlocked my fingers behind my neck and pulled down even
farther, it helped me to swallow. Again though, as time
progressed even that, no longer worked. Then I discovered
something. It wasn't how hard I was pulling down on my neck
but where I was pressing my fingers. There was a certain
spot on the back of my neck that when I pressed on it, my
swallowing mechanism was activated. I probably looked a bit
odd reaching behind my head and pressing on the back of my
neck with a finger but it did the trick for me. I also found
out that when I pressed on that spot, it changed the sounds
I made. The best way I can describe how to find that spot,
is place a couple of fingers on the top center of your neck
behind your head. Start humming and at the same time
moving your fingers down your neck applying a moderate amount
of pressure. When the pitch of your hum changes, you have found
the spot. I have spoken to many people about this and have never
found anyone else that this worked for. For me, it was a life
saver. I'm now a lot better than I was 2 years ago (back to my
usual 160 pounds). The PD marches on and I still do battle
every day with the myriad of symptoms (swallowing is no longer
one of them). The gist of all of this is hopefully some of you
out there with swallowing problems, that this may help.
Dave Robertson