Forwarding a reply to my question about parkinson's research here at
McMaster University.  Barb

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 11:49:41 +0500 (EST)
Subject: My research

Barb

In regard to your message of May 9/95 I am pleased to let you know about
my research program. My research does not involve the testing of new drugs
in clinical trials.

All our research is basic research with animals. Our interest lies in the
use of growth factors and genetically modified cells that may help to
repair degenerating dopamine pathways in the brain. We are currently
inserting new genes that encode for the production of growth factors (known
to improve the survival and life span of neurons) into selected cell
types. The effects of the new genes on neuron growth and development are
studied in tissue culture and when we transplant the modified cells into
the brains of rats used as models of Parkinson's.

The long term goal of this research is to design and engineer cells that
will prevent degeneration of the dopamine systems in Parkinson's and
repair the affected neuronal pathways in order to restore appropriate
functional behaviour. Essentially, we are looking at a form of possible gene
therapy for Parkinson's.

Hope I have been of some help to you.

Laurie Doering
Anatomy, HSC 1R1