Dear Pam:

Why can't you get permax in New Zealand?  It's been a good alternative to
sinemet for my husband, since he was getting far too much sinemet, and that
caused a lot of the "restless everything" syndrome (though he says he
prefers this state to the rigid alternative)?

k.

>I am concerned about the amount of sinemet I need to give relief of symptoms of
>P.D. What do others think.
>
>I choose to have as little medication as possible and as few mixtures of
>tablets to be able to function reasonably. I ve had P.D. 8 years and RLS (I
>call it restless everything). I began eldepryl 4yrs ago, sinemet 18 months ago
>with 1 CR at night.
>
>Now I am needing sinemet 3/4 hourly, some CR, and some 25/100. Even at night I
>wake 4 hourly and get no sleep if I go without. This means about 250/1000
>carbidopa/levodpa per day.
>
>Dr has just recently given me Prozac. 20 mg daily. No adverse reaction and no
>improvement so far. Can t get Permax here (New Zealand).
>
>Reading about free radicals and the fact that only 10-20% of the medication
>reaches or is used by the brain. Makes me want to find a more efficient way of
>getting dopamine or coping with P.D.
>
>Pam Barnett.
>
>Kim Barnett <[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                     [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies               voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall        fax:    (510) 642-9466
Mail Code 2300