Hi

By the way...my father 77, PD for 25+ years was a chemical engineer that
worked for Sherwin Williams and Western Electric in manufacturing for all of
his career.  Also was a pilot during W.W.II - but it sure is interesting to
read about the chemical exposure & PD.  He was always cooking up something
in the basement.

But my purpose in writing is a question....

Note:  Stop reading this if it bothers you to hear about advanced PD.

My Dad has been waking up during the night complaining that he can't
breathe.  He does not have any lung impairments and has never smoked.  His
heart is healthy and other than a bad back, ulcer  and leg pain, and PD -
his major organs are healthy.  It seems that he feels that breathing is
becoming less involuntary than it used to be.  He feels that he needs to
concentrate to keep breathing.

My question is:  What do PD patients eventually die of?  Does the PD effect
every muscle function and you just stop?  I read about famous people dying
of PD related causes.  What does that mean?  I've always considered our
largest short-term risk to be aspiration because he chokes so much.  (He is
tube fed, but sometimes he cheats.  It is really hard to never eat, even if
you are fed and not hungry.. There is a lot more to eating that just
nourishment.)

Have any of you heard of night breathing problems?  We have decided to let
him sleep slightly upright, but then we increase the chance that he'll fall
out of bed.  It does seem to help the breathing wake-ups.

Sara Byron