You wrote:

>This is in response to the note from Mr. Hoffheimer.
>    It is true that many medical/clinical breakthroughs come from the
private
>sector, but the governmental work is just as important - and maybe
moreso.
>Your note also seemed to limit the "private sector" to the US sector.
>   The primary medication we Parkies take is levodopa - The discovery
of the
>dopamine deficit was made in Sweeden. Application in Austria. Canada
>contributed. The ldopa differentiation was I believe done partially
with
>government funds and part from private grants.
>  I take Eldepryl. That was developed in Hungary.. Comunist Hungary at
the
>time.
>  I have participated in two drug trials.  Lazebemide was Swiss and a
failure
>so far as I can see.  I am now on Entacapone from Finland and find
that it
>functions as a levodopa agonist fairly well.
>  As a Parkinson's patient, I will accept help from wherever it is
available.
>I would like to see more "developed in America"
>Parkinson's  products, but, again, I will take help from wherever it
comes
>from.  We need to work together and independently.  We need basic and
applied
>research.  We need government and the private sector. The private
sector is
>people. Government is people. We need more dedicated people and their
ideas.
>                                          Will Johnston in Salisbury,
>Maryland

Don't forget that a large number of medical (and surgical)
breakthroughs of the last 30 years or so came from people doing
clinical research.  Some professional, often but not always affiliated
with a teaching hospital, conceived of some new procedure; and, after
working in a lab for a while, tried it with patients who had little to
lose.  This kind of work is behind many of the neurosurgical procedures
we currently use for other conditions (actually, the first
pallidotomies that were done by Irving Cooper back in the 50's were as
a result of a surgical "accident", and Dr. Cooper used his inquiring
mind to follow through).  Unfortunately, with the increasing
involvement of Government (in financial aid and regulatory policies),
this kind of research advance has become less frequent.  The regulatory
practices in effect now are really a two-edged sword; they protect
human subjects from unscrupulous researchers, but they also, in some
cases, frustrate innovative research.  There is no easy answer.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"