I don't know that all hospital insurances do, but I've heard that some do.
I'm not familiar with the insurance you described. However, now's the time to
call medicare and ask how much (all? part?-what parts?)of the operation
they'll cover. Then call the insurance company and ask the same. It might end
up that it's more cost effective to keep paying for the insurance he
currently has - as a supplement to his medicare ...if he decides to have the
surgery right after the medicare becomes effective. Usually (but not always)
health insurances have wording in their contract with you thatdeclares
medicare as the primary carrier (medicare covers 1st). But medicare might
still leave expense gaps that the individual insurance car cover - in part or
in whole.

Best to you both!

Maryhelen