My wife Nancy had a unilateral (right brain) Pallidotomy performed yesterday
by Dr. Philip Gildenberg in St. Luke's hospital in Houston, Texas. While she
did not do the "Matress Mac" jump that Ed did on Prime Time. She did lap the
Intensive Care Unit twice within minutes of her release from  the  operating
room. All in viewing distance stood frozen as they watched Nancy's miracle
unfold. She was connected to an IV unit which the nurse was pushing behind
her. I held her hand because I was frightened
about the possibility of a fall. She did not fall of course and all
appearances are that she has received what appears to be major if not total
benefit on her left side.
The process began 8:30pm Monday night when Nancy was removed from all PD
medications. Most of the hours until 6am yesterday were miserable as the OFF
state set in, and a frozen Nancy experienced what her body was like with no PD
meds. This was not pretty and resulted in a virtual sleepless night with
muscle pain, stiffness and anxiety dominating . At 6am she was lightly
sedated, at 7am she was taken for an MRI.  Surgery began around 9am and we saw
Nancy in ICU around 1:30pm. She tells me the procedure itself which she was
awake for was "no big deal". However she experienced back pain of real and
perhaps imagined proportions which she complained about through out the entire
procedure. This is not significant today.
We have our own VCR of most events except in OR. The hospital has that VCR and
so does NBC channel 2 Houston. The story will be aired locally at 5pm today
and possibly again at 10pm. We are back in a regular hospital room and
everything is  A - OK. We may return home tomorrow. By the way the procedure
used here was modeled after the prodedure used by Dr. Laitinen in Sweden.
Thank you all for your support.
Bob Martone [log in to unmask]