Subj:    Not a candidate for surgery?
Date:    95-05-25 19:41:20 EDT
From:    JRKramar
To:      [log in to unmask]

The reasons given were that he is not troubled by tremor which is the
condition most relieved by pallidotomy;  his memory loss is fairly serious
and there is a valid question whether he could follow any instructions that
are necessary during the surgery;  Scripps had only done 12 of the surgeries
and some had negative results so they were having to be *very* selective in
their choice of patients.   I was thankful they said no,  really,  because if
he can have the surgery I would rather have it done where they have done 500
cases.
I do not have strong hope that he can have it, and yet,  in the information I
have  (reports from Loma Linda and Dr. Iacono transcripts),  the pallidotomy
*can* help some cases of dementia.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if it did!
  Thanks for the question.  Jan  (I am a native Iowan; have lived in New
Jersey, Canada, Texas,  Peru-South America, and many years off and on in
California,  husband's native state.)