I am a fairly recent subscriber to the PD list but have followed all messages
with interest.

I am most impressed by the amount and quality of the knowledge that is shown
in so many of the messages.  There are few neurologists and fewer doctors who
have such a depth of information about PD.

However there is one area where I believe there is a serious and important
gap in our knowledge and that is in regard to the indications and
contra-indications for surgery.

Everyone will agree that there has been a bombshell explosion in regard to
the surgical treatment of PD but I wonder how many of us know when surgery
 is indicated and will help.  Also when it is NOT indicated and may do more
harm than good.  This is an area that I am particularly interested in and
wonder if others feel that an effort to improve our knowledgge on this aspect
of the problem would be worth while.

What I propose doing is to prepare a letter that would be sent to as many
surgeons as possible that we can discover who are doing this form of surgery.
 This letter would ask them to let us know what their criteria are for
operating or not doing so.  This would include such questions as the patients
age, mental status, tremors, spasticity, speech difficulty and anything else
that you would suggest prior to finalizing the letter.  A draft would be put
out for your comments - I want to include as much as possible that may be of
value to us all.  What would YOU want to ask about?  All those interested
would be asked to forward to me the names and Snail addresses of any surgeons
or departments they know of that are doing any surgery on PD.  There are many
that I do not know of and I believe that, with your help, this letter could
be sent to a sufficiently large and comprehensive group to be of real value
to us.

The ultimate decision as to whether surgery is done or not is one that should
and must be made BY THE PATIENT (That's you!) and NOT by the doctor.  Before
making a decision like that I would want to have a very complete picture of
all the pro's and con's.

If there seems to be an interest in this proposal I will keep you all
informed.  If not then I will go it alone as best I can and eventually let
you have my findings.

Greetings to all.

John Park