> Wendy:  Interesting reading about the efects of Nutrasweet on your PD
> symptoms.  I have been interested in possible adverse effects of NS
> for awhile and from the reading I have been doing, it seems likely
> that he phenylalanine from the Nutrasweet may have decreased the
> uptake of your medication into the brain.  I don't know which
> medication you are on, but some  (e.x. l-dopa) are actively taken
> across the blood brain barrier and the phenylalanine competes for
> this uptake process, thus decreasing the amount of medication that
> makes it to the brain.  I've often thought that products containing
> Nutrasweet should have to carry a warning label as sufferes from the
> genetic disorder PKU shouldn't consume it and it is likely to cause
> problems for some medications such as those for PD and some
> antihypertensive drugs.
>
> Cathy

Dear Cathy,

        My husband has Parkinson's so I was very interested in your
post.  However, I also advocated for severely impaired children, many of
whom have seizures.  Some of their moms have related that they believe
nutrasweet increases seizure activity.  I'm not sure what mechanism is at
work in those cases, but maybe a label on nutrasweet should include all
neurological conditions.
------
Mary Ann Ryan