On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Rick Coe wrote:

> > Help.  Quick.  Please.
> > If I can make a coherent request by Monday morning, there will likely
> > be a sizable amount of $ available for
> >
> >     doing something that involves teaching writing and the
> > "WEB" (i.e., "the Web").
> >
> >                 Rick Coe

        Rick, the web doesn't seem to me to be a real good vehicle for
exchanging drafts, etc., because there's too much coding involved (not
much, but just a little too much.)  Dunno how useful this will be, but
here's something I'm planning to do, anyway.

        I'm teaching a tech writing class in the fall using the Web, and
I'm going to find things that are noteworthy about UM-Dearborn that might
_also_ be of interest (inter)nationally.  For example, there's one guy
here who has built a wonderful environmental education program around the
Rouge River, and someone else has done extensive research & interviews
with holocaust survivors, and there's also a pretty good Armenian
research center on campus.  I figure that those resources might be useful
to people outside our campus.  My students will need to design Web pages
for these areas, find appropriate information about them, and do the
necessary html coding to get the pages up & running.  Along the way,
we'll talk about document design, and the differences between paper print &
electronic print media, who our audience might be and what they'll need
to know, they'll critique each other's writing, and so forth.

        Hope this helps.

Marcy

Marcy Bauman
Writing Program