As others have already noted, the problem with the Web is that it is
more like a publication than like an e-mail or conferencing system
(though some web pages do allow callers to attach their own contributions
to documents at a web site).  Conferencing software is a more natural
fit.

At East Kootenay Community College, we want to run two English 100
sections (composition) in a conferencing/traditional classroom half-
and-half split.  The students will meet once a week in the lab to
develop their skills with the tools, but will be expected to contribute
to ongoing discussions through the week.

It was interesting to see references to First Class conferencing software
in light of our current plans.  Anyone out there a rabid fan or a, well,
the opposite?  At the moment we're evaluating a product called Norton
Textra Connect, which builds limited conferencing facilities into the
DOS word processor.  A version of Connect is also available for Word
for Windows version 6.0.  The advantage is a close link between the
word processor and the conferencing system.  The disadvantages seem to
be two:  each student must buy a separate licenced copy ($25 to $50
depending on the version), and the conferencing element is limited to
the number of parallel conferences a student can be involved in.  On the
other hand, the institution bears no software cost.

Any input in selecting the right conferencing package would be very helpful.

Darrell Bethune
East Kootenay Community College, B.C.