On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Doug Brent wrote:
> BTW, has anybody noticed that when Web pages are used for handouts,
> required readings, etcc, students usually have to print them out in order
> to make use of them?  Is this progress?

I think it's probably habit more than anything. For the first 3 years I
was on the net regularly my office continued to be a place of shifting
dunes of paper. Avalanches were not uncommon.

At some point I looked around me and sensed that I was in the presence of
the absurd and promptly (more or less) stopped hitting the silly 'print'
key.

My office is still a mess, but the piles are no longer growing. They've
settled, gotten stable, may be turning to compost in fact, and avalanches
are a thing of the past.

Paper is a habit, not a necessity.

--Eric Crump