On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Doug Brent wrote:

> The bias of the web toward "final" publication may be a problem or it may
> be a solution--that is, a solution to the problem of what to do with
> students' products other than photocopy them and pass them around the
> class.  Web publication has the potential to make classroom activity a
> little more "real" (I hate that word) because of the opportunities it
> offers to have students show their stuff beyond the classroom.

        Oooh, I told myself I wasn't going to get into this, but . . . if
students put stuff out on the Web and nobody reads it, is that
publication experience "real"?  Is it better than their having the
experience of watching the person across the room laugh or frown in
response to their text?  I've gotten a number of URLs in recent months
from people whose classes have put work on the web, usually with an
accompanying note asking for comments.  Why would I want to go read a
bunch of student papers when I already have stacks of them on my desk?
Publication for publication's sake is not enough.

> BTW, has anybody noticed that when Web pages are used for handouts,
> required readings, etcc, students usually have to print them out in order
> to make use of them?  Is this progress?

        Well, I'd say that depends.  Who pays for the printouts?  Might
be, um, cost recovery or whatever the bureaucratese is for that sort of
buck-passing . . .

        Seriously, though, I think Doug's right; we need to think about
which tools are effective at doing what, and not just embrace the new
technology just 'cuz it's there.

Marcy

Marcy Bauman
Writing Program