If the issue is publication (I'm thinking here of Marcy Bauman's comments
about ""real" publication experiences), then the starting presumption is
that work is inherently interesting and hence will find its readership or
that the work is somehow needed, perhaps because a writing instructor
tells you you *need* to read it (grin), but more likely because the text
is useful to the reader.

However, the issue for me is not really publication but process.  I'm
interested in applying a conferencing tool like First Class or Textra
Connect to a composition classroom because I so often feel defeated by
the logistics of doing effective group work in the traditional classroom.
I think that CMC offers a solution in the way it organizes the flow of
information and allows more student-to-student contact at every stage
of the writing process.

I could easily be in for a rude awakening; what are the experiences of
others?

Darrell Bethune
East Kootenay Community College