I've been following the postings about putting student work on the WEB.  I
am beginning to feel like an old cynic because the first thing that occured
to me was that if thousands of us adopted this idea, students would quicly
(quickly) realize there were tens of thousands of FREE PASSING PAPERS out
there for the taking.  When I was an undergrad, fraternities at UCLA used
to keep these kinds of files, and of course commercial "research" companies
in Los Angeles marketed "recycled" papgers as well.  This wouldn't be a
problem for those of us who assign very specific topics, but for anyone who
gives students free choice of topic, it would be inviting trouble, especially
for the weakest or most anxious students:  those most likely to take advan-
tage of the WEB, and those most in need of the writing practise.  As I recall,
this was a significant problem at UCLA, not because a great many of the
students were at risk academically, but because so many wanted into professionalschools, and grad schools, and would do anything to get there.  Am I being
entirely too cynical?  I DO like the idea of having students work toward
publication.  Bob.