I think Doug's right, but I'd push it a bit further (surprise,
surprise).  Doug says:

> This is why web publication, like any other form of publication,
> MUST be the culmination of a complex process of drafting,
> exchanging drafts, responding, commenting, exploring--a process in
> which the instructor is intimately involved.  The product is just
> the icing on the cake.

What I want to suggest is that it's got to be a beginning itself.
Not icing, or at least not icing unless we see the cake as a step in
a food chain . . .

What's wrong with the product metaphor is that it presumes that once
you've got the product it's the end of the process.  But in fact
every utterance is the _middle_ of a process.  (Bakhtin: a response
to a previous utterance and an anticipation of a further response.)
When we talk about someone to read these things we need to be clear
about this: we're not looking for some undifferentiated mass to
admire it; we're looking for a situation in which the text will
serve a function for some real person.

                                        -- Russ

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_   Learning and Teaching
Department of English      )_ __)_|_)__ __)     Development Office
St. Thomas University        |  )____) |   EMAIL:[log in to unmask]
Fredericton, New Brunswick___|____|____|____/  FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          \                / PHONE: (506) 452-0644