I like the house analogy, too.  I think one reason it's powerful is
that it's pretty tough to imagine building a house that no one _did_
live in: that'd be a pretty expensive dummy run.  So we sort of take
it as read that it's a real house and that people are going to dwell
in it.  And renovate it . . . anyway, a house is clearly as much
beginning as end.

And equally clearly, the builder has to have a way to know that the
flashing was wrong and the roof is leaking.  He'd better be part of
the community that includes the people living in it.

                                        -- Russ

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_   Learning and Teaching
Department of English      )_ __)_|_)__ __)     Development Office
St. Thomas University        |  )____) |   EMAIL:[log in to unmask]
Fredericton, New Brunswick___|____|____|____/  FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          \                / PHONE: (506) 452-0644