Thanks for a most interesting and enlightening discussion--helpful
metaphors!
Could you please help me apply some of it to a particular situation?

I am meeting next week with the Director of the Business Coop
programme and two members of her staff, to discuss Coop
students' Work Term Report. When Coop students complete a term working
in a local business, they write a major and rather long Work Term
Report.

Although the format of the report is theoretically sound, students
consider it an awful chore and employers consider it irrelevant.

I have ordered Aviva and Peter's book and have reviewed notes from
Patrick Dias' talk at the 4C's-- but I still need some good practical
suggestions.  The Coop people are open to new ideas.
    Thanks.  Roberta Lee