                       PATHS AND DESTINATIONS
                   Getting From Point A to Point B
                         In the Middle Ages

                      Saturday, October 21, 1995

This year we have changed the format of the Centre's Annual Conference in
two ways:

        It is now one day instead of two days long.
        It is now taking place in the Fall, instead of the Spring.

    It is a commonplace that the average medieval person traveled
little and saw no more than a few dozen square kilometers in a lifetime.
But organized movement, on a large or a small scale, was a normal part of
life throughout the medieval period: goods were transferred; pilgrimages
were made; religious processions moved through cities; and liturgical
rites followed a choreography within the space of a church.  The
specifics and practicalities of the movement of people are a crucial
background to linguistic, artistic, and political contact between
medieval communities. We hope to bring together scholars of various
disciplinary, methodological and geographic perspectives to consider all
kinds of medieval movement.

    We are currently accepting half-page abstracts for twenty minute
papers to be given at this conference.  Abstracts are due by

                         JUNE 15, 1995.

Send your abstract either by conventional mail to:

                   Annual Conference, October 1995
                   Centre for Medieval Studies
                   39 Queen's Park Crescent East
                   Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2C3

or electronically to  Jesse Brink at [log in to unmask]

(* Sincere apologies for the inconvenience of cross-postings *)