Most of the responses we receive from Congress about the Udall Bill
are the standard, polite form letters.  Jesse Helms is using his as a
platform for another issue:  scolding people who are supporting AIDS
research.  Here's the text in its entirety:

Dear Miss Yost:

Many thanks for your letter supporting increased funding for
Parkinson's research through the Morris K.Udall Parkinson's Research,
Education and Assistance Act.  I, too, am concerned about the health
funding priorities being established by Congress and the
Administration.  We cannot squelch medical innovations that research
dollars produce.   The reason our health care system is the envy of
the world is because of the medical breakthroughs made  possible by
biomedical research.

Sorely needed programs -- such as those seeking cures for Parkinson's
disease -- are being shortchanged by Congress in its headlong rush to
appease the national AIDs lobby.  AIDS is a very serious public threat
that merits Federal attention.  But that does not mean that funds
allocated for Parkinson's disease, cancer, heart disease, and other
major illnesses should be diverted to AIDS research.

Unfortunately, that is what Congress has done.  Federal AIDS funding
now exceeds $1.6 billion per year.  This compares with $600 million
allocated for heart disease-- even though many times more Americans
suffer from heart disease than from AIDS.  Cancer kills a half million
Americans a year, compared to 22,000 killed by AIDS.  However,
Congress spends only $1.2 billion a year for Cancer research--much
less than the $1.6 billion allocated for AIDs research.

No formula for funding disease research, prevention and treatment will
please everyone.  But how funds are allocated must be determined by
common sense.  American lives are simply too important to allow narrow
pressure groups to hold the final say.

Kindest regards.

Sincerely,

Jesse Helms

My instincts are sputtering to send him a rebuttal: are only "American
lives" so important?  Who could begrudge research on any disease?  My
brothers have serious heart problems and I lost a favorite
brother-in-law to AIDS.  Does he think we're competing for funding
that could help our own families?  What's being spent on tobacco
subsidies & B1 bombers?  sputter..sputter..

Joanne Nelson of WIN suggested that a better reply to a letter like
his would be to encourage him to co-sponsor the Udall bill.  She's
right.  There's strength in numbers, even if it means we must include some
rather strange bedfellows.