Subject: Re: overactive  gag reflex

CB>My father was diagnosed with PD eight years ago.  For years before
  >the diagnoses, he had (and continues to have) an overactive gag
  >reflex, i.e. he vomits almost every time he brushes his teeth.  I am
  >wondering if this is a problem that other PD patients experience or
  >if perhaps it is peculiar to him.  Any comments would be
  >appreciated.  Thank you.

CB>CBarrott

Carrie, you dad may suffer from dysphagia. Swallowing difficulties and
gagging are symptoms.

The easiest solution is to schedule events during his "on" time (ie.
meals, teeth brushing etc.)

Another solution if he is on Sinemet CR is 1/2 of an immediate release
25/100 Sinemet 30 minutes prior to an event if things are not on
schedule.

Another solution is a Sinemet "Fizz" for situations that are not on
schedule. One days supply can be kept in the refrigerator. The "Fizz"
starts working sooner than either the CR or immediate release.
A disadvantage of the "Fizz" is the duration of the effect is just 60
to 90 minutes.

The formula in the Algorithm for the liquid is:

10 25/100 immediate release Sinemet tablets crushed and pulverized
mixed in 1 liter of tap water with 2 g of Acorbic acid (vitamin C).

Alternately, ginger ale can be substituted for the tap water and
ascorbic acid.

A swig will do yah.

Your dad's neurologists should do the diagnosing of dysphagia.

John Cottingham

 * 1st 2.00e #803 *