Re: eye problems--my husband has a variety of these--dry eyes, which
require "moisture drops" (artificial tears) about every 4 hours, and
problems with reading because in PD the " tracking" across the line of
print is difficult.
Also, the seborrhea which can accompany PD causes crusty eyelids, and he
has to carefully wash eyelids daily, as described by his eye doctor.
He often closes his eyes, but does not have the spasms of lids which can
go with PD. Perhaps your  mother's problems are compounded by the cataracts,
also, which he doesn't have.  Are you aware that she can qualify (as he did)
for Talking Books from the Library of Congress? They are on tape, and the
special tape player, tapes, postage--everything--come FREE to the "blind"
anywhere in the US. Frequent catalogs arrive to update you on the latest
available books, which are widely varied. One can also get newspapers and
magazines! Several Parkies in our group have tried this..one can be
certified as eligible by doctor or social worker.  Check with your local
library for further info if interested.  (Peter likes the books, but often
falls asleep while listening--a good way to take a nap ! :-)  )
Camilla Flintermann, Oxford,OH