I have been lurking on this list for several days now and would like to
introduce myself.  My name is John Marcy; I am 28 and live in Naples,
Florida.  My father, age 58, lives in South Bend, Indiana, and was diagnosed
with PD in 1985.  About two months ago he began to hallucinate constantly and
to show signs of paranoia, seeing conspiracies everywhere, etc.  He spent a
week in the hospital for a drug holiday, as suggested by his doctor, and
shortly afterwards had to be rehospitalized because of dehydration due to
difficulty swallowing.  Except for a few days in a therapy center just after
the drug holiday, he has been in the hospital for a month now, having had a
feeding tube put in.  He is now on the verge of returning to the therapy
center.

These recent events have made me want to learn more about PD.  Although it
has been ten years since my father was diagnosed, until now his situation
seemed relatively stable; it seemed to me as though the disease had reached a
plateau and that he was not getting any worse.  At times it has been easy not
to think about his condition, especially as I live quite far from my parents.
 The last months have jolted me into realizing how trying the last years have
been for both of them.  I have realized that on the whole I know very little
about Parkinson's.

I am very glad to have found this list and other online resources about PD,
in addition to books on the subject.

One question about the postings I have read the last few days: Could someone
please describe the Udall legislation which has been talked about so much?  I
take it that it concerns funding for PD?  Perhaps someone could reply briefly
by E-mail, as I am sure that most list subscribers already know about this.

Thank you!

John Marcy ([log in to unmask])