DonAEt be discouraged.  I just met with a Congressman who lamented that
 eveeryones cause is a good one.    He rerlated how a constituent had just
 visited promoting a certain program that was targeted for cuts.  If that
 prograrm is cut his business wi
Remeember, the battle we are waging is for our very lives.

I juat recently returned from the ParkinsonAEs Action Network (PAN) Advocacy
 Forum. The  experiencd was    both inspirational and exhausting.  PAN is
 working on a detailed plan to be widely published so that all of us   who want
 to help politically can

The Udall  Bill battle will be fought on  two fronts:

1 )Washington - where the factions within the Parkinson's community must
 interact effectively with, the   legislators and their staffs.

2)Home Districts - where  a grassroots campaign must be waged.

 Our success will be a function of how effective we are in both areas.  That in
 large part will depend on how   well we communicate, both between the
 Parkinson's Disease organizations and between Washington and the   Grass Roots.
  There are  several  m
We struggled for many hours to come up with a plan which was recommended and
 adopted.  That planAEs key   ingredients were simplicity, immediacy and this
 list.  The tenants of that plan were:

1)To identify 535 people throughout the country.  Each  was  to monitor the
 status of either a Congressman or Senator and coordinate lobbying efforts.

2)A preference that these people have electronic connectivity (E-Mail)

3)Represenatives of the Parkinson's Disease groups and their lobbyists will meet
 regularly in DC and issue instructions/ strategy

4)A data base be maintained  with input from the 535 and accessibility

The reasoning for reliance on electronic communication was to do away with the
 traditional pyramidal   organizational structure.  Conceivably PAN could post
 information onto the PARKINSN list and reach the   majority of the 535.  A goal
 could be to hav
Parkinsn List in Toronto could then be our network.

Here are somesuggested step by step guidlines. You should try to do the
 following:

1.  Call his district office to set up an appointment with him personally.
You  may be required to speak with someone on his staff initially, but
persistent.  Insist on a meeting with him.  It is okay to take someone.

2.  When you visit, tell your personal story.  This has been found to be the
 most effective

        a) Ask if he knows anyone with Parkinson's.

3.  Explain how important the Udall Bill is to people afflicted with Parkins
     Disease.  Increased funding is vital.

        a) Show the Federal funding per person afflicted.  To demonstrate       the current
 inequity.

        b) Note that Neuroscientists believe a cure may be possible as soon     as 5 years

        c) Suggest that the Udall Bill is cost effective.  Spending $100        million for
 5-7 years to save $6 billion per year which PD costs   society

4.  Ask him to co-sponsor the Udall Bill.  A general statement supporting he
 issues is not sufficient.  If he agrees to co-sponsor, ask  him to contact
    Henry Waxman's office as soon as possible so he can be officially signed on.

5.  Also, ask him to prevent proposed cuts in the NIH budget.  Neurological
 research in all fields is very important.  Especially in Parkinson's Disease
 where a cure is imminent.

6.  After the meeting, write a letter to him, again, asking  for or confirming
 his co-sponsorship.

7.  Call his office every week or two asking his aide where he stands on the
 Udall Bill Inquire if they are getting corrrespondence from others supporting
 the NIH.

8.  Ask everyone you know to visit, write or call his office.  We discovered
     is just as effective as a letter.  So if people are reluctant to write,
             call -- give them the number.