Just another note to add to Jim Cordy's on lobbying.

It is tough to get through all the noise that our representatives have to
deal with.  I sent letters regarding the Udall bill to my Senator a number of
times and spoke to his staff many times.  I talked to a healthcare aide in DC
about the bill and faxed him a copy.  A week later I sent another fax
reminding the Senator of the bill.  I got a call from a different healthcare
aide in DC requesting a copy of the bill.  I sent a copy.  Then I called the
local healthcare aide who requested a copy of the bill.  That's three copies
of the same bill!

Our representatives offices are not equipped to handle the workload that they
have, but they make do.  This only underscores the importance of repetition
and commitment.  The staff that reads your letter is generally composed of
bright-eyed kids fresh out of college.  Not every letter gets through, no
matter how touching and heartfelt.  Still we need to continue with this work.

Let's keep informed about the latest developments and turn the Congressional
District plan proposed by PAN into a reality.  If you get tired of writing,
pick up a phone.  We want to pass the Udall bill, but even if you never get
support for it you have done a positive service for the Parkinson's community
by educating your representative and his or her staff about PD.

Ken Aidekman