Date: Sat, 03 Jun 1995 23:20:15 EDT
From: [log in to unmask] (MR ROBERT A MARTONE)
Subject: Parkinson's Action Network (PAN)

Sorry for the delay in responding to the request to hear how PAN was
doing. First let me start out on a personal note to thank everyone who
sent cards, messages and prayers our way for my wife Nancy. It was
truly incredible receiving so many best wishes and get well cards from
people who I had only met at the PAN conference in Washinton two weeks
ago. It's a memory we will both always cherish.

Nancy continues to do well with her right brain pallidotomy. She has no
ill effects from the surgery and many benifits. She is improving daily
and will continue to send messages on her progress.

For my part, I have been busy with activities supporting Nancy and the
Houston Area Parkinson Society (HAPS).  I just sent out 300 letters
seeking corporate contributions to aid our local efforts and am
preparing a Video chronology of Nancy' s PD both before an after
surgery including many shots in the hospital, childhood events, and
anything that will help convey how aweful this disease really is. I
hope to have it ready in a month and will advise when it is ready. I
hope it will help us locally and nationally to get support for PD
research and neurological research in general and specifically for the
National Institute of health where I think many break throughs are
likely to occur with proper funding.

My PAN efforts these past two weeks has been limited but successful.
For those that don't already know, I accepted the PAN regional
coordinators role for Texas. We have 30 congressmen and I plan to have
one key PD contact for each congressional district with in three
months. I'm off to a good start just by word of mouth. I have eight
committed for Texas and through good friends have a key contact for
North Carolina who has already written to his two sentors and will do
more once I get him a package.

HAP'S and the APDA have offered financial support to me to help defray
mailing and other communication costs so I feel priviligeded at this
point to be associated with the extraordinary efforts of Joan Samuelson
and Sheila Heath. They really need our help if this effort to get Udall
passed is to succeed. If every one pitches in and follows the basic
outline that Jim Cordy just forwarded we will put up a hell of a fight
for everyone connected with this lousy disease.

Bob Martone  [log in to unmask]