After lurking since December and realizing how beneficial the PD network has
been, I've decided to join.  Thanks to Joyce on instructions for indexing.

My father has been treated for PD/PD+ (he was recently told by Mayo Clinic
they feel it may be striatonigral degeneration) for over ten years.  During
this past year, he developed an inflammation/thickening of the pleural
lining, accompanied by fluid buildup, causing him great difficulty in
breathing.  Locally, the fluid was drained and has not reoccurred, however
the inflammation has gotten worse.  He was sent to Mayo Clinic for four days
of tests, but even they are stumped as to the cause, and thus, the best
treatment.  All tests have shown that there is no malignancy.  Dad fears he
is going to suffocate if he doesn't get an answer and proper treatment soon.

One of the PD drugs he takes is Permax.  His local doctor suggested that it
may be a side effect, as Permax is relatively new.  Next month they may try
taking him off of it to see if it helps (this month they put him on steroids
to reduce the inflammation and only want to try one thing at a time).

Has anyone out there heard of or experienced anything similar?  Any comments
or insight as to a possible Permax/Pleurisy relationship would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

dmeckert