Text item:

Milo,

Thank you for your input; I will pass it on to my father.  This is exactly the
kind of thing that we should all be sharing with each other, so I will copy this
to the list also.  Thank you again and best wishes to you.

Carrie

Carrie,
Angwin is a small unincorporated community around the college here,
Pacific Union College, where I was a teacher for 25 yrs. It is located in
Napa county about 70 miles North of San Francisco.

I will try to summarize my tricks. First, I noticed that when my feet
were separated in the direction of travel, I could always take off. So
if I could notice and try to remember to stop with my feet separated like
when I am taking a step, it helps to enable me to start. This also
explains why I can walk even though I have difficulty starting. My
analysis is that when walking I shift my weight to the forward foot,
this releases the other foot which then swings like a pendulum. I
calculated the period of the compound pendulum (my leg) and I found that
it does correspond to the rate of my steps when walking,  which leads me
to think that my explanation is correct. If I get stopped with my feet
together, I do not think "walk", I think "move the foot slightly forward".
When separated sufficiently, than I can take off. All of this means to me
that the automatic mode no longer works well.  I must use the conscious
thought to make things work the way it used to do.

I find that another factor is posture. I cannot move if my shoulders
are stooped and I am not standing up straight. If I am standing straight
and my feet are together and I am frozen,  I can also release myself
sometimes by just lifting my leg as if I were trying to climb a ladder.

Permax is one that I have not tried. I will investigate that one.
Thanks for your response.
---Milo

Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.
Box 417
Angwin, CA 94508
VOICE 707 965-2508
EMAIL [log in to unmask]

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Carrie Barrott wrote:

> Text item:  > > Dr. Anderson, > > I do not have PD, but my father does.
I would be interested in hearing > from you about the "tricks"  you have
developed to deal with your > freezing episodes. > > My dad is 59 years
old and was diagnosed with PD eight years ago, > although he exhibited
certain symptoms for years before that.  He has > recently been taking
Permax which he says has given him back his > personality.  He also says
that he feels 15 years younger.  You may want > to speak with your
neurologist about this medication. > > Where exactly is Angwin?  My
parents live in Sunnyvale and my sister in > Los Altos. > > Carrie Barrott

Text item: External Message Header

Subject: Re: new member introduction
To: Carrie Barrott <[log in to unmask]>
From: Milo Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 11:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
     (Smail3.1.28.1 #2) id m0sLDuT-000qE8C; Mon, 12 Jun 95 11:08 PDT