I need some advice. My terrific father has been diagnosed with PD for
about 13 years now, altho' I strongly believe that he has had it much
longer. He is currently being treated through the VA hospital in Buffalo
NY. He is 73,  stubborn and proud. He and my mom live about 40
minutes from me.

After each "drug holiday" that he was put on, he got much worse, and
never regained function to the pre-holiday level. He refuses to go through
another holiday. The entire experience was horrific. The family supports
his decision.

Recently, Dad has been falling. He refuses to use a cane or walker. His
behavior has become confusing...yesterday he took everything that wasn't
nailed down out of his garage. He said that the garage needed to be re-
wired. (It was damaged in a recent earthquake) At 10PM, my sister had to
go to his home (1/2 hr away) to replace everything. He has also been
aggressive and belligerent, which is not at all like him.

My mom is having a tough time with him, and could really use more help.
My oldest daughter moved in with them to try to help out, but she works
2 jobs and  goes to school. We are trying our best to help out, but it isn't
possible to be with them around the clock.

Dad is extremely resistant to any type of support group, but I'd like to try to
find someone to help them out a bit, possibly visiting with them, or to help
provide services or do odd jobs for them. Any suggestions on how to go
about this?

BTW...when my Mother talked to Dad's dr. about her concerns about his
falling (he is now sporting a shiner & cut up nose from the last one) he told
her that it was a part of PD and to expect it.

Are there any sources of assistance that we might try?

 Thanks

 Sharon ([log in to unmask])