You wrote:

>I need some advice. My terrific father has been diagnosed with PD for
>about 13 years now, altho' I strongly believe that he has had it much
>longer. He is currently being treated through the VA hospital in
Buffalo
>NY. He is 73,  stubborn and proud. He and my mom live about 40
>minutes from me.
>
>After each "drug holiday" that he was put on, he got much worse, and
>never regained function to the pre-holiday level. He refuses to go
through
>another holiday. The entire experience was horrific. The family
supports
>his decision.
>
>Recently, Dad has been falling. He refuses to use a cane or walker.
His
>behavior has become confusing...yesterday he took everything that
wasn't
>nailed down out of his garage. He said that the garage needed to be
re-
>wired. (It was damaged in a recent earthquake) At 10PM, my sister had
>go to his home (1/2 hr away) to replace everything. He has also been
>aggressive and belligerent, which is not at all like him.
>
>My mom is having a tough time with him, and could really use more
help.
>My oldest daughter moved in with them to try to help out, but she
works
>2 jobs and  goes to school. We are trying our best to help out, but it
isn't
>possible to be with them around the clock.
>
>Dad is extremely resistant to any type of support group, but I'd like
to try to
>find someone to help them out a bit, possibly visiting with them, or
to help
>provide services or do odd jobs for them. Any suggestions on how to go
>about this?
>
>BTW...when my Mother talked to Dad's dr. about her concerns about his
>falling (he is now sporting a shiner & cut up nose from the last one)
he told
>her that it was a part of PD and to expect it.
>
>Are there any sources of assistance that we might try?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sharon ([log in to unmask])

Sharon:

Try and get your Dad to a neurologist (? his PD doctor) and request
that a CT scan of the brain be done.  Although his recent personality
change could be due to other things, it could be due to a subdural
hematoma (blood clot over the brain) which he could have sustained when
he fell.  Subdurals are fully treatable and can restore personality to
normal.  Untreated, they are usually fatal, this over a period of weeks
or months.  Let me know what happens.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"